The purpose of our Advisory Board is to support and further the mission of the Duke Eye Center by being ambassadors for the Duke Eye Center in their respective communities and among their network of friends, by keeping informed about the work and service performed by the faculty and staff of the Duke Eye Center, and by directly and positively influencing the amount of philanthropic funding available for that mission.
The Advisory Board serves in a voluntary, advisory capacity and shall be supported by the Eye Center Development Office.
The Beacon Club is the Duke Eye Center’s annual giving program. The name is appropriate as Duke Eye Center’s reputation of excellence is a beacon to patients and health professionals alike.
To learn more about the Beacon Club, please review our updated Beacon Club brochure (PDF).
As a private, non-profit medical center devoted to the best in patient care, research, and education, we must depend upon patients, friends, and alumni for support. Gifts can be directed to specific areas of interest in research such as:
Banks Anderson, Sr, MD, was the first ophthalmologist at Duke, serving from 1930-1965. He served as associate professor of surgery in charge of ophthalmology from 1930-1949. Then he became professor of ophthalmology and the first Chief of the Division of Ophthalmology.
His dedication to those persons in need of excellent professional care as well as his great ability to impart his knowledge to those working with him will always be appreciated and remembered.
This special society was created to honor Anderson’s contributions to the field of ophthalmology at Duke. Members of the Anderson Society are donors who have supported the Duke Eye Center with $100,000 or more. Their names appear on the Anderson Society plaque displayed in the Duke Eye Center lobby.